Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
600 Church Street

LAST UPDATE: August 17 2021

login to edit this building

600 Church Street, Toronto - October 2020 - Image via Google Streetview

600 Church Street, Toronto - October 2020 - Image via Google Streetview

AT RISK INFORMATION
At risk status:
This building is at risk

Info:

As of August 2021, 600 Church Street, Toronto has been listed on the Sud Group's website as a "retail property and future development site."

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
600 Church Street
600 Church Street
Church-Yonge Corridor, Toronto

First Owner:
Dr. Edgar Redgrave Doward and family

First Occupant:
Dr. Edgar Redgrave Doward and family

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:

600 Church Street was constructed in 1908.

 

600 Church Street was first home to Dr. Edgar Redgrave Doward (c. 1851 - 1932) and family. The Dowards resided here from its construction in 1908 until Dr. Doward's death in 1932.  Dr. Doward was a prominent organist who was also known as the "dean of Canadian organists." Dr. Doward played at many Ontario churches. He also worked as salesman at Gourlay, Winter, & Leeming - a manufacturer and retailer of organs, pianos, phonographs, and music boxes. 

 

600 Church Street was constructed on the north section of the grounds of a large mansion which formerly existed at the northwest corner of Church Street and Gloucester Street. This mansion was constructed circa. 1879 and known as Norway Place. As of 1900, it was home to James Lamond Smith. Smith was also associated with the village of Norway, located partway between Toronto and Scarborough. 

 

In 1924, the rear garage of 600 Church Street suffered a significant fire. The fire was caused by young boys smoking cigarettes in an adjacent laneway. 

 


As of 1933, 600 Church Street had been divided into 4 apartments.

 

The property is presently used as commercial units, including a tattoo parlour.  

 

Around 2010, 600 the exterior of Church Street was renovated. These renovations removed the property's gable and various early 20th century cladding materials. 

Year Completed:
1908

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Sources:
This structure has 0 sources.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2021 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top