Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
Beardmore Building

LAST UPDATE: July 14 2021

login to edit this building

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
Beardmore Building
35-39 Front Street East
Waterfront Communities-The Island, Toronto

First Owner:
T. Griffith

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Alternate names:
T. Griffith Block

Notes:

Originally owned by the wholesale grocer T. Griffith, this ornate warehouse was later acquired by the leather merchant G. L. Beardmore, resident of 136 Beverly Street (now home to the city's Italian consulate), with whom it is most closely associated. Its construction, along with that of the Gooderham Flatiron Building, reflects the late 19th-century economic intensification of this area.

Status:
Completed

Year Completed:
1872-73

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
The following companies are associated with this building

BUILDING DATA
Type:
Mid-rise

Current use:
Commercial

Former use:
Warehouse

Heritage:
Designated under Part IV and Part V, Ontario Heritage Act

Heritage Conservation District:
St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Heritage Conservation District

Main Style:

Sources:

Sources

  1. Inventory of Heritage Properties
    Author - City of Toronto
    More information

  2. Toronto Architecture: A City Guide
    Author - Patricia McHugh, Alex Bozikovic
    Date - 2017
    Page - 27

  3. St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Heritage Conservation District Plan
    Author - Fournier Gersovitz Moss Drolet and Associates Architects (FGMDA)
    Date - 2015
    Page - Appendix C: Schedule of Properties
    More information

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2021 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top