Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
26-32 Ossington Avenue

LAST UPDATE: January 10 2022

login to edit this building

26-32 Ossington Avenue, Toronto - 9 January 2021 - Photograph by Adam Wynne

26-32 Ossington Avenue, Toronto - 9 January 2021 - Photograph by Adam Wynne

AT RISK INFORMATION
At risk status:
This building is at risk

Info:

In 2019, an application was submitted to demolish 26-28 Ossington Avenue and replace it with a 3-storey mixed use building containing 7 residential units and retail at grade. 

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
26-32 Ossington Avenue
26-32 Ossington Avenue
Trinity-Bellwoods, Toronto

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:

26-32 Ossington Avenue is a pair of 2-storey Georgian Revival buildings on the west side of Ossington Avenue approximately 70 meters north of Queen Street West in Toronto. 26-32 Ossington Avenue were constructed in 1879 ± 1 year.  

 

26-32 Ossington Avenue were formerly known as 16 and 18 Dundas Street.  

 

Along with the 1878 Fire Hall 9 at 16 Ossington Avenue, 26-32 Ossington Avenue are some of the oldest surviving buildings on Ossington Avenue.

 

The first occupants of 26-28 Ossington Avenue were: 

 

26-28 Ossington Avenue:  William Brown — a dry goods merchant. 

30-32 Ossington Avenue: John Cox — a  window shade manufacturer; and Bowbeer & Will — window shade manufacturers. 

 

William Brown lived at 26-28 Ossington Avenue for 1 or 2 years. Following Brown's residency, the property was home to Dr. William Armstrong.

 

Dr. Armstrong was a physician and pharmacist. He joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario in 1869. The Armstrongs later lived nearby at 13 Fennings Street. 


The following biography of Dr. Armstrong was published in Canada Lancet following his death in 1906: 

 

Dr . William Armstrong died January 11, 1906, at his home, 13 Fennings Street, Toronto, after a short illness. He had been a resident of Toronto for 26 years. He was born in Rosscommon, Ireland, in 1827, and came to Canada with his parents when a child. He lived some time in Burford Township, and moved to Wellington County in 1845. In 1849, he married Frances, daughter of Orange Lawrence, founder of Orangeville. He lived in Orangeville for 20 years, and was a member of the Wellington County Council, and for some years treasurer of the Town of Orangeville. He was for over 20 years a trustee of the Methodist Church, and was a member of the Quarterly Board of Wesley Church. He is survived by a widow, five daughters, and three sons; Miss Lottie, at home; Mrs. George Beswick, Orangeville; Mrs. A. Durie, Clarkson; Mrs. (Dr.) Kendall, Buffalo; Mrs. Mason, Toronto; Orange L., Toronto; William, Buffalo, and Dr. G. W. Armstrong, Toronto." (volume 39, page 564). 

 

Year Completed:
1879 ± 1 year

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Main Style:

Sources:

Sources

  1. Canada Lancet: Volume 39
    Author - Canada Lancet
    Date - 1906
    Page - 564
    More information

  2. Obituaries - Dominion Medical Monthly
    Author - The Canada Lancet and Practitioner
    Date - 1906
    Page - 112
    More information

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2022 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top