Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
22 Baldwin Street

LAST UPDATE: August 3 2021

login to edit this building

22 Baldwin Street, Toronto - October 2020 - Image via Google Streetview

22 Baldwin Street, Toronto - October 2020 - Image via Google Streetview

AT RISK INFORMATION
At risk status:
This building is at risk

Info:

Since 2009, 22 Baldwin Street and the Yung Sing Pastry Shop has been "under renovation" and vacant. The future of the property is uncertain as of 2021. 

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
22 Baldwin Street
22 Baldwin Street
Kensington-Chinatown, Toronto

First Occupant:
William Hannah

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:

22 Baldwin Street was constructed in 1874. The property was first home to William Hannah- who was a carpenter and grocer by trade.  Hannah resided here until 1878. 

 

22 Baldwin Street was one of the first properties built on the north side of Baldwin Street. Notably, the north side of Baldwin Street was still undeveloped as of 1873, whereas the south side of the street had some development by this point in time. 

 

Please note that the segment of Baldwin Street west of Spadina Avenue was a separate street known as "Baldwin Street West" as of this point in time and did have early development on both sides of the street as of 1873.

 

Neighbouring 24 Baldwin Street - which 22 Baldwin Street shares a wall with - was originally a 19th century house that was demolished and rebuilt with the extant building at 24-26 Baldwin Street during the 20th century.  

 

Since 1968, 22 Baldwin Street has been home to the Yung Sing Pastry Shop. The Yung Sing Pastry Shop was founded by Chu Ko (c. 1928-2020), who was a Chinese-Canadian immigrant originally from Hong Kong. Since 2009, the Yung Sing Pastry Shop and 22 Baldwin Street have been "under renovation." The future of the building is uncertan at present. 

 

Other former occupants of the property include: 

 

1879: Dr. Beresford Gahan, MD 

 

1880: John Masters - Commercial Traveller 

 

1890:  Margaret Mather - widow of William Mather.

 

1920: Joseph Feldman - a tailor. 

 

1930: Joseph Feldman and Benjamin Banks - both tailors. 

 

1935: Isaac Berlin - a butcher; and Abraham Unger - a carpenter. 

 

1940: Isaac Berlin - a butcher. 

 

1945: Isaac Berlin - a butcher.

 

1965: William Berlin - a butcher.

 

Year Completed:
1874

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Main Style:

Sources:
This structure has 0 sources.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2021 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top