Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
1358-1360 Queen Street West

LAST UPDATE: October 15 2021

login to edit this building

1358-1360 Queen Street West, Toronto - 29 November 2020 - Photograph by Adam Wynne

1358-1360 Queen Street West, Toronto - 29 November 2020 - Photograph by Adam Wynne

AT RISK INFORMATION
At risk status:
This building is at risk

Info:

1358-1360 Queen Street West is included as part of the re-development project at the northwest corner of Brock Avenue and Queen Street West, which also includes properties to the east. 

While the developers of this site have expressed interest in preserving 1358-1360 Queen Street West, these properties presently do not have heritage protection. 1358-1360 Queen Street West should be monitored during re-development to ensure they are not demolished and/or inappropriately or severely altered.  

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
1358-1360 Queen Street West
1358-1360 Queen Street West
Roncesvalles, Toronto

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:

This block was designed and built by J. C. Mussen in 1881. Mussen was a prominent Parkdale businessman, involved in the fields of insurance and real estate. He also served a role as a signatory during the incorporation of Parkdale in 1879. 

 

The interiors of the building - formerly distinct spaces - have been consolidated by a former, long-time commercial tenant. The Queen Street West elevation of the properties were partially covered by cladding during the 1980s, with this cladding being removed in the late 20th or early 21st century. The removal of this cladding revealed beautiful polychrome brickwork. 

 

In Fall 2020, Developers filed an application for the northwest corner of Brock Avenue and Queen Street West for a 9-storey condominium building. Plans are calling for the preservation of 1358-1360 Queen Street West, although the Developers want to demolish adjacent 1354-1356 Queen Street West. Steps should be taken to ensure preservation of both 1354-1356 and 1358-1360 Queen Street West. 

 

 

The Parkdale Register (1881) indicates this block had already been constructed by 1881.


In 1884, the building had 6 storefronts and was known as 106-116 Queen Street, Parkdale. Tenants of the building as of 1884 - per the City of Toronto Directory - include: 

 

106 Queen Street, Parkdale: John Wanless & Sons Hardware. The Wanless family operated a hardware store in Parkdale during the early-to-mid 1880s. The Wanless family had a store at the northwest corner of present-day Queen Street West and Brock Avenue between 1880 and 1884, then moved to near the intersection of Queen Street West and Gwynne Avenue in 1885. The Wanless family lived above their store at the Queen and Brock location. Around 1888, the company moved further east to Queen Street West and Lisgar Street.  One of John Wanless' sons - who worked in the Parkdale-based hardware store in his youth - was William James Wanless (1865-1933) who later became a prominent doctor and surgeon in India and was knighted by King George V in 1928. 

 

108 Queen Street, Parkdale: Benjamin W. Wood - Benjamin W. Wood operated a books and stationery shop at 108 Queen Street, Parkdale during the 1880s. 

 

110 Queen Street Parkdale: Austin Brothers Grocers - The Austin brothers - John A. Austin and William R. Austin - operated a grocery store at 110 Queen Street, Parkdale during the 1880s. Emma Austin - a milliner - was also based at this address, operating out of the Austin Brothers grocery store. The Austins lived above their store. This storefront is extant to date, but the interior has been consolidated with other stores in the building now known as 1358-1360 Queen Street West. 

112 Queen Street, Parkdale:  William J. Dixon - William J. Dixon was a harness maker. This storefront is extant to date, but the interior has been consolidated with other stores in the building.  

 

114 Queen Street, Parkdale: Walter Cooper - Walter Cooper was a butcher. This storefront is extant to date, but the interior has been consolidated with other stores in the building now known as 1358-1360 Queen Street West.  

 

 

116 Queen Street, Parkdale:  Peter L. Oster - Peter L. Oster was a dairyman who operated his business from 116 Queen Street, Parkdale during the mid-to-late 1880s. Prior to 1884, Peter L. Oster was based on Ossington Avenue.  Peter L. Oster lived above his shop and also had a boarder - James Coleman, who was a clerk by trade. This storefront is extant to date, but the interior has been consolidated with other stores in the building now known as 1358-1360 Queen Street West.  

 

Year Completed:
1881.

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Heritage:
Listed

Main Style:

Sources:
This structure has 0 sources.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2021 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top