Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
583-583B Sherbourne Street

LAST UPDATE: July 12 2021

login to edit this building

583-583B Sherbourne Street, Toronto - 8 November 2020 - Photograph by Adam Wynne

583-583B Sherbourne Street, Toronto - 8 November 2020 - Photograph by Adam Wynne

AT RISK INFORMATION
At risk status:
This building is at risk

Info:

583 Sherbourne Street, Toronto is slated for demolition as part of an adjacent mixed-use redevelopment and revitalization of St. James Town Park West

583 Sherbourne Street, Toronto is presently surrounded on its north, south, and east sides by St. James Town Park West which gives the property the appearance of being in the middle of the park. 

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
583-583B Sherbourne Street
583-583B Sherbourne Street
North St.James Town, Toronto

First Occupant:
Susan Jane Ellis

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:

583 Sherbourne Street, Toronto is one of the few remaining 19th-century residential properties in North St. James Town. Much of the neighbourhood's 19th century built environment was demolished in the mid-20th century during the St. James Town residential high-rise tower projects, which have since become synonymous with the name St. James Town.

583 Sherbourne Street, Toronto is presently surrounded on its north, south, and east sides by St. James Town Park West which gives the property the appearance of being in the middle of the park.  

The first occupant of 583 Sherbourne Street was Susan Jane Ellis (née Quirk) - who was the widow of William Henry Ellis.

From the Archives of Ontario's Philip William Ellis fonds: 

William Henry Ellis (b. ca. 1835), born into a family of jewellers, was an engineer and civil servant in Ontario during the nineteenth century, active in the construction of the Grand Trunk Railway.

William Henry Ellis, son of jeweller James E. Ellis, was born around 1835 in England. He immigrated to Canada with his family in the mid-1840s. He was an engineer and civil servant, constructing part of the Grand Trunk Railway and the Toronto Esplanade. William Henry Ellis and his brother Richard Yates Ellis were also members of the Hungerford Marble Co, and its activities were connected to William Henry Ellis' activities in railroad construction, providing transportation routes for the company.

Ellis was married in Toronto in 1855 to Susannah or Susan Jane Quirk, also born in England, who had immigrated to Canada in 1848. Their children included twins Phillip William Ellis and Matthew Cain Ellis, Charles Shuttleworth Ellis, Thomas Danvers Ellis, and William Gordon Ellis. William Henry Ellis died before the end of the nineteenth century.

Ground floor commercial modifications have occured at 583 Sherbourne Street, Toronto. Recent commercial tenants include Downtown Kabob Grill House. 

Year Completed:
1887

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Main Style:

Sources:

Sources

  1. Fonds F 169 - Phillip William Ellis family fonds
    Author - Archives of Ontario
    Date - June 2012 (revised)
    More information

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2021 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top