St. Michael’s Choir School was founded in 1937 by Fr. John Edward Ronan to facilitate the training of a boys’ choir for St. Michael’s Cathedral. The official name of the school at the time was “Cathedral Schola Cantorum.” On May 17, 1955, St. Michael’s Choir School was accorded an affiliation with the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome -- only six other choirs and choir schools in the world share this privilege. In 1987, the Choir School completed an astounding fifty years of service, and in recognition of this milestone, Mr. Art Eggleton, the mayor of Toronto at the time, declared June 15, 1987, as the official St. Michael’s Choir School Day.
St. Michael’s Choir School was formed from humble beginnings as a privately run institution. In 1967 a partnership was formed with the Toronto Catholic District School Board that is still in existence today. From the very beginning the school has provided parishes in the Toronto Diocese and beyond with organists, cantors, conductors, and professional singers.
- 1900: St. Michael’s Parish School opens at 69 Bond Street; this building is attributed to the architecture firm Post & Holmes and was built 1892-3
- 1926: Cathedral Sanctuary Choir is founded by Monsignor Ronan
- 1937: An elementary school is established for the cathedral choirboys, and the Cathedral Schola Cantorum becomes known as St. Michael’s Choir School
- 1942: Grades Nine and Ten are added
- 1950: Opening of the new Choir School building at 66 Bond Street; this building is attributed to the architect James H. Haffa and was built in 1948.
- 1955: Affiliation with the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome
- 1966: SMCS joins the Metropolitan Separate School Board (currently known as the Toronto Catholic District School Board)
- 1975: 69 Bond Street is renovated as the high school building
- 1996: SCMS moves into the renovated building at 67 Bond Street
- 1997: Renovation of the School of Sacred Music building at 66 Bond Street
On March 13, 2018, the Ministry of Education approved funding for a new 300 pupil place boys’ school and Choral Institute for Music for grades 3 to 12;