Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
447-453 Adelaide Street West

LAST UPDATE: November 24 2020

login to edit this building

photo credit, courtesy of Bob Krawczyk

photo credit, courtesy of Bob Krawczyk

AT RISK INFORMATION
At risk status:
This building is at risk

Info:

The OMB is currently hearing a case that may result in the removal of the heritage designation given to these properties this past December 2019 and permitting the developer to tear down the heritage homes and build a 14 story HUDSON HOTEL by SBE Entertainment based in New York City.

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
447-453 Adelaide Street West
447-453 Adelaide Street West
Waterfront Communities-The Island, Toronto

Owner:
Eliza Lennox

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:

The Eliza Lennox Houses are considered culturally significant as a surviving group of row houses that are both architecturally distinct and representative of a major transformation of the King-Spadina neighborhood after the Great Fire of 1904.

Contextually, together with the John P. Jackson House (1880) at 445 Adelaide Street West (commissioned by Eliza Lennox’s brother), the houses are an important surviving collection of house form buildings of the King-Spadina neighbourhood, once a residential and institutional enclave before the Great Fire of 1904. After the Great Fire, the King-Spadina neighbourhood transformed into becoming the city's manufacturing hub. The Eliza Lennnox Houses 1904 construction date makes them a significant witness and representative of this major transitional time. 

The brick parapet that extends across all four units and incorporates a central segmental-arched pediment and terra cotta panels in the centre and on the ends is a defining feature of the row houses.

The Eliza Lennox Houses are historically, visually and physically related to their surroundings adjoining the southwest corner of Adelaide and Morrison streets, beside the John P. Jackson House (1880) at 445 Adelaide Street West and opposite St. Andrew’s Playground.

Status:
Completed

Year Completed:
1904

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Type:
Commercial block

Current use:
Commercial

Heritage:
Designated under Part IV Ontario Heritage Act

Sources:

Sources

  1. Notice of Intention to Designate
    Date - 2019
    More information

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2020 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top