Ryerson University is building a 40+ storey mixed-used building on the parking lot to the immediate east and north of 152-154 Dundas Street East. 152-154 Dundas Street East are not presently included in these plans, but the intensity and proximity of the adjacent re-development indicates that these properties may be at increased risk of demolition. 152 Dundas Street East was also recently for sale.
Name & Location
152-154 Dundas Street East Church-Yonge Corridor, Toronto
Andrew Woodcock - milliner- lived at 152 Dundas Street East between 1879 and 1880. Other occupants: 152 Dundas Street East was later home to Dr. Joachim William Guinane and his practice between 1893 and 1939/1940. Dr. Guinane died around 1939 or 1940. His widow resided here until the mid-1940s. 152 Dundas Street East was later home to several iterations of the Mutual Street Deli for 60 years (1956/1957 - 2017).
154 Dundas Street East was home to William Henry Orr between 1879 and 1889. Orr is an interesting historical figure - particularly within the fields of communications theory, journalism, and publishing. He additionally had Toronto's first residential phone number - with his phone number being "3" - only the phone company and police station were ahead of him. Orr also sometimes published under the name W. H. Orr which is really strange, especially as he was an advocate for phonetics and shorthand.