Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Loading Please Wait
Loading please wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter Instagram

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past. Our present. Your future.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO RESULTS  |  FULL RECORD  |  NEW SEARCH
3-5 Cameron Street

LAST UPDATE: October 8 2020

login to edit this building

AT RISK INFORMATION
At risk status:
This building is at risk

Info:

These properties are At Risk as they are slated for demolition to create a driveway; maintenance (and presumably garbage/recycling) entrance; and rear wall of a new 12-storey condominium building at 170 Spadina Avenue.

BUILDING INFORMATION
Name & Location
3-5 Cameron Street
3-5 Cameron Street
Kensington-Chinatown, Toronto

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:
3-5 Cameron Street are 2, Second Empire Worker's Cottages that date to 1885. Cameron Street was laid out in the 1870s and was first built on in 1876. The street is named after the Hon. John Hillyard Cameron (1817-1876) - who was a Ontario-based businessman, lawyer, and politician that owned the lands the street is now on.  During World War I, the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps Warehouse was located immediately north of this row of houses (at 15 Cameron Street). This later became the headquarters of the post-war Unemployment Insurance Commission Office
 
The original 19th century and early 20th century Cameron Street streetscape was virtually obliterated in the late 1960s during the construction of the housing projects now synonymous with the Alexandra Park neighbourhood. In 1899, there were 62 houses on Cameron Street. By 1924 this number had reduced to 58. Subsequently, the number of houses had reduced to 43 houses in 1967; 15 houses by 1968; and 6 houses by 1969. These remaining houses were mostly in the row of Second Empire Workers Cottages of which 3-5 Cameron Street are the last surviving of. The rest of this row - including 1 and 7, 9, and 11 Cameron Street - were expropriated and demolished in the 1970s to allow for the creation of a driveway and parking area for a nearby Canada Post depot.  Only a few years later - circa. 1980 - the lowrise apartment building was constructed on adjacent 7 Cameron Street. 

Year Completed:
1885

Map:
Loading Map

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Type:
Rowhouse

Main Style:

Sources:

Sources

  1. Heritage Property Nomination
    Author - Adam G. Wynne
    Date - April 2020
    Document - 61d12b249cb1ea2aa51d4a434966b8b2.pdf

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2020 ACO Toronto tobuilt@acotoronto.ca

Top