Loading Please Wait

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

Facebook
Twitter

Facebook Twitter

Architectural Conservancy Ontario

The past Our present Your future

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

Last Update: November 6 2017

login to edit this building

Robinson Cottages
photo Linda Dawn Hammond

BUILDING INFORMATION
Additional Images:

Name & Location
Robinson Cottages
753-755 Richmond Street West
Niagara, Toronto

OTHER IDENTIFICATION
Notes:
James Lukin Robinson built 32 Garrison Common Cottages ( also known as Robinson Cottages & misidentified in city records for some time as Robertson Cottages). 16 cottages were first built on Mitchell Avenue, then 8 or Richmond Street West and 8 on Adelaide St. West. These brick, semi-detached cottages were built as a group, 4 pairs on one street backing onto 4 pairs behind. The houses were occupied by industrial workers, industry linked to the railway lines that passed through the neighborhood. All the Garrison Common Cottages on Adelaide St. are gone, but 7 cottages remain on Richmond Street W, and 4 cottages are left on Mitchell Ave. These are now among the oldest modestly scaled residential houses in Toronto. Robinson intended to build a similar group of cottages near the train station in Mimico, but the project collapsed before any were built. This pair has been truncated to create a driveway. Now: 4 of the cottages on Richmond St. W. are listed. A Demolition Permit has been applied for 2 of the cottages on Mitchell Ave. and 2 more are for sale and being advertised as potential for demolition & rebuild. ALL of the cottages should be listed on the City of Toronto Register of Heritage Property.

Year Completed:
1859

MAP:

Companies:
No data at this time

BUILDING DATA
Type:
Semi-detached house

Heritage:
No heritage status

Main Style:
Workers Cottage

Sources:
This structure has 0 sources.

TOBuilt: SEARCH:    BACK TO LIST  |  FULL RECORD

© 2016 ACO Toronto info@acotoronto.ca